Friday, March 16, 2007

To read ... about mediation. To blog ... about mediation.

It's been 16 days since I blogged or read blogs and I'm realizing how it's a fast-paced blogging world where your thoughts lose relevancy if you're not paying attention. Guess that's the point of blogging. I knew this, I felt this, I experienced this, yet it didn't really sink in until 16 days had lapsed and I returned to the blogging world.

16 days ago I had some brilliant ideas about which to write that would have contributed to the whole "starting your own practice/business" discussion being had by the top mediation bloggers. Now my thoughts of 16 days ago seem irrelevant, stale, outdated. I waited too long. Sure, I could still go there on my blog, make statements, create links to other people's 16 day old blogs, but who cares at this point? I kind of don't anymore.

So I learned a couple of things: 1) I need to blog immediately when an idea occurs to me, even if it's just stating it in a sentence or two. Blogging is supposed to be in "real-time" after all 2) I need to find a better way to keep up with the mediation bloggers whose writing interests me.

As a solution to this problem, I created a new email account. The provider of my domain/web space allows me 1200 email accounts with my current subscription. Seeing as I'm the sole proprietor of my business, I don't think I have to worry about running out of emails. I had 3 previous accounts: one that is posted on my website and therefore gets loads of spam, one for all my 3rd party business transactions, and one with my actual name in it that's on my business card. So now I've created a fourth email account. It's "toread" @ my domain (sorry spammers) with which I have subscribed to my favorite mediation blogs.

So far I've subscribed to:
1) Online Guide to Mediation by Diane Levin.
2) Mediator Blah ... Blah... by Geoff Sharp

I'll probably subscribe to more later but these are the two to which I find myself continually drawn. I don't want to get too overwhelmed with reading material. After all, I do have a practice/business (see post by Dina Beach Lynch) to run.

Oh, and I learned one other important thing: what may seem brilliant in one moment can become suddenly quite dull in the next. Real time or not, I'm thankful for that "edit" button.

No comments: